Sunday, August 1, 2010

so domestic

If I haven't already explained- my new job is an approximately 5 minute drive from our apartment. My new job has a kitchen fully stocked with coffee, salad, tomato, milk, bread, and generally- lunch meat, easy mac, soup, chips, pretzels, etc. and almost every soda imaginable. My new job also requires a 40 hr work week- generally 8am-5pm with an hour for lunch. Oh, and my new job also has "summer hours"- aka you can leave at noon on Fridays. So, I don't have to deal with any traffic, I don't have to pack my lunch in the morning, I don't have to buy lunch-type of foods anymore, and I technically, don't even have to stay until 5pm every day. Because 8am-4pm x 5 = 40 hrs a week.

Getting home from work at 4pm instead of after 6pm has added a whole other part of my daily routine. Instead of coming home exhausted, I'm delighted there are still 4 hours of sunlight! I can now go for a run, take a shower, read a book, watch Oprah, and make a solid dinner meal.

At the old job, I'd go to Sprouts every Sunday to buy my weekly salad ingredients for lunch. Welp, now there's no need to bring salads- they give it to us! This causes one change to my dinner meals, as now our fridge is empty of veggies. So, yesterday I dragged Chris to one of the many Austin Farmer's Markets. It was better than I'd imagined. With live music, tons of free samples, jewelry, and PEACHES. We bought the most delicious peaches I've ever had. And a cilantro cream salsa, an eggplant, yellow squash, and a zucchini. I cooked the latter ingredients into some sort of Eggplant Parmesan/Baked Penne masterpiece that I will definitely repeat later in the year. The success of that meal motivated me to make a cheesecake today. It's still cooling, but cross your fingers it will come out delicious as well. I'm going to top mine with peaches!

2 comments:

A Big Puppy said...

Sounds like a great job full of deliciousness. Congrats! :)

Michael

Rachel English Hutson said...

Oo I love it. I have a Martha Stewart recipe for miniature cheese cakes that you make in cupcake tins. It takes like a quarter of the time, and they are really cute. Let me know if you want the recipe!