Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lifelong Goal

A goal I’ve had since around 6th grade was to watch every film that ever won Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I used to be way better at pursuing this goal than I am now. Back in Kansas, every summer, I’d go to the library a few times a week and pick out DVDs that were on my list. Sometimes, I’d foolishly forget to bring my list with me, and would have to resort to the titles I’d heard a million times, but had never seen. For example, “North by Northwest,” “Cabaret,” “Clockwork Orange.” I’d get home, watch the film, and THEN realize it didn’t even win the Academy Award. Whoops! So, in order to be more efficient… or something like that, I changed my goal to not only watch every Best Picture Winner, but to also watch all 100 movies on the American Film Institute’s “100 Greatest Films of All Time,” list.

So now, both lists are nicely organized in my, “Movies to See,” pocketbook ready to get checked off.

Sadly, over the last few years I’ve been so distracted by television, boyfriends, and organized sports, that I haven’t been as diligent with my goal as I’d like. Until LAST NIGHT. Now that we have cable, I took full advantage of TCM’s 31 Days of Oscar and DVRed like 10 different movies to see. The first one I watched was The Third Man. It was terrific. As it should be, since according to 1,500 artists and leaders in the film industry, it's one of the 100 best!

So many more good ones to watch! This was just the catalyst I needed to get my focus back.

No comments: