Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Muffins and Cheese


What a day. Because of my dear friend Katy’s birthday extravaganza last night, I am feeeeeling the lack of sleep today. For me, the worst part of staying up late is getting used to how slowly my brain functions the next day. And, because I’m such an efficiency freak, I detest it when it takes me an unusually long time to accomplish simple tasks. Even the littlest things take sooooo muuuuuch effort...

The things I do for my friends…

Like... make snickerdoodle muffins! I’ve made these before, but I guess I didn’t make a blog post about it. What was I thinking? These are fantastic. Make them. Try not to eat 2 in 1 day like I did this morning.
Snickerdoodle Muffins (recipe from The Tasty Kitchen Blog)
1 cup Butter, Softened
1 cup Sugar
2 whole Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla
2-¼ cups Flour
¾ teaspoons Baking Powder
¾ teaspoons Baking Soda
½ teaspoons Salt
1 cup Sour Cream
¼ cups Buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin sheet with papers. My recipe made 16 muffins. You could make 12, but they'd be bigger. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and cream until fluffy, then add the eggs and vanilla and blend more. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add half of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to combine (I used a wooden spoon). Add the sour cream and buttermilk and mix to combine. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Use an ice cream scooper and plop a scoop of batter into the muffin liner, then sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Bake the muffins at 350ºF for about 15 minutes.


These are the photos I took from the first time I made them. When I made them last night I used whole wheat flour instead. It made them much more muffin-like rather than cupcake-like. They still have two sticks of butter in them, so it does sort-of trick you into thinking they are healthier. Also, I think 2 sticks of butter is too much, so maybe once my brain starts functioning at a normal speed again, I’ll do some experiments.

Oh hey, do you know the trick about buttermilk? You just take regular milk and add some lemon juice or vinegar to it? I never have to buy buttermilk again. Click here for exact milk/acid ratios.

In addition to muffins, cheese is another one of my favorite things ever. Katy’s fiancé made her this adorable “cake” last night.
She said, “Now that’s a cake I will actually eat!” Sweets v. Salts? Most of us voted salts. However, anything v. cheese… we’d all probably pick cheese.

Only one more day until I’ll be basking in the 95 degrees for 3 days straight. It’s going to be so fun.

No comments: