Friday, November 11, 2011

Super Easy Dinner You MUST Make and What I Did Yesterday

First of all, let me share this recipe that I’ve verbally shared with a few girlfriends over the past week or so. It takes like… 15 minutes to make and it is terrific. This blog might as well be known as “Jane Cooks what Iowa Girl Eats,” because per-usual, that’s where I found it.

Crispy Gnocchi w/ Goat Cheese and Pesto
1 Package Gnocchi. Usually I buy whole-wheat, but because I really wanted Chris to like this, I bought regular, potato. Next time I’ll go back to whole-wheat. Also, do you know how to say “gnocchi?” For years, I’ve been ignorantly referring to it as “ga-nosh.” Ohhh silly Jane. It’s pronounced, “noh-key.” Now, aren’t you smart! Oh, and it’s found in the pasta aisle.
1/4-1/3 cup Pesto. I just used HEB-brand, which I conveniently already had in the fridge. Love it when that happens. But, you could also make your own.
2-3 oz Goat Cheese/Chevre. Ok, so I bought a 4 oz log, and ended up using all of it. It was definitely too much cheese (woah, cannot believe I just said that). So, next time I will only use half the log. You can also use crumbles, so use about 2-3 oz of it. Or less/more. Be free with your cheese people.
1 regular sized pack of cherry or grape tomatoes. I LOVE cherry tomatoes. I used about ¾ of the pack of "Sunbursts". I’d say use about a cup and half, or so. Again, it depends on how much you like them. Actually, if you don't like them, you probably shouldn't make this. OH, but be sure to cut them in half. This avoids the “squirting in your mouth” affect that I totally um… dislike.
A little bit of EVOO (for the skillet)

I followed One Cup Awesome’s directions for the rest of it. So, I’ll redirect you there. Just skillet-cook the gnocchi in the EVOO, then add the tomaters, remove from heat, add the pesto and top with cheese. And that was from memory folks. Oh and PS it says it serves 4… yah right. Maybe 3… this stuff will go FAST. As he was eating it, Chris said, “Wow, Jane, can we have this for dinner every night?!”

Ok, so as I mentioned before, I wanted to focus this blog a bit more on what makes this city so fabulous. Yesterday after work, I found another reason. Manuels. DUDE. Best queso of my life. I don't know how they do it, but it was almost like cheddar cheese queso. Like... macaroni and cheese ish. Blew me away. And the tortillas? oohhhhman. And it’s so close to my house. Wonderful service. Delicious drinks. Reasonable prices. It was really quite lovely.

So after my $7 glass of Tempranillo (I said reasonably, not cheap) I headed home to whip up the Pintrest find that’s been on my list for quite some time,
Honeycrisp Apple Sangria.

Scott’s birthday party is tonight, so I’m going to bring this deliciously fruity beverage over to celebrate. It’s marinating at home in the fridge as I type, and I can hardly wait for after work when I have a little sample glass.

Then, since I’m all wild and crazy boyfriendless, I cuddled up on the couch with the kitty and watched yesterday’s ANTM. Stay beautiful, Greece, for I promise to visit you someday.
Isn't it so funny how Greece's economy has been all screwy and sad, and conveniently enough they pick this year to send the Top Model crew over there? How funny.


Happy weekend friends!

No comments: