Friday, December 16, 2011

Run Jane Run

On October 23rd of this year I strained muscle in my lower back. But, you've already heard that story, right?

This back strain/pull/whateva made me pretty motionless too as it hurt to get up, lie down, sit, stand, and even walk. I felt so helpless. So, as soon as I healed up (thank goodness, it was only 7 days later) I was committed to becoming more active. As I wrote in my First Thankful post, I am so lucky to have a healthy working body.

I started running outside and using our old apartment’s fitness center a couple days a week. With all my costly activities and my measly paycheck, a $25/month gym-membership just seemed like too much money. But then the horrendous happened... daylight savings. I refuse to run in the dark, so I had almost no time to make it home, change, and run through the neighborhood before 5:30pm sunset. Thus, with the lack-of-sunlight and some solid peer-pressure, I finally joined a gym. For two years. And by-golly I’m going to get my money’s worth.

For the last three weeks, I have been following Hal Higdon’s Half Marathon Training Plan. It’s a 12-week, novice plan that has you start with running about 12 miles a week, and increases at a slow/moderate pace to the 13.1 finale. My first two 4 mile runs were dare-I-say, fun to complete, however I’m really nervous about running 5 miles tomorrow since my body decided to reject all food consumption this past Monday night. Ugh, stomach-bugs are the worst. Today is actually the first day where I’ve seriously been hungry. I am thrilled. I’ve got three days of eating to catch up on! And three days of running too! I haven’t been to the gym since Monday. I cannot believe that I’m actually excited to see how I feel after today’s 40 minute work-out. These are words I seriously never thought I’d say. Seriously!

The down-side to all of this madness is that I sort-of forgot about Christmas shopping this year. With work, working out, showering, dinner, and sleeping, I feel like I haven’t had time for much else on my to-do list. And it’s long. We’ve got two Christmas parties on Saturday, guests coming on Tuesday, a little holiday only 9 days away, and... about 45 things to take care of before then. #firstworldproblems anyone?

No comments: