Monday, March 19, 2012

15 miles, an engagement, and a baby

Friday
One of the best things about working at Morningstar is summer hours. The delightful Friday afternoons where employees get to leave the office at noon (assuming all tasks have been completed). Although they have not been officially announced for 2012 yet, in honor of SXSW, Spring Break, and the general “nobody else is here” vibes in the office, I was encouraged to head out at around 2pm on Friday. I knew my relaxing weekend wouldn't truly begin until I completed my dreaded long run. So, I uploaded 1 GB of new music to Chris' mp3 player, guzzled as much water as I could, mapmyrunned a 11 mile route, and set out through the neighborhood.

I returned 2.02 hours later, practically dying of dehydration. It was after about mile 7, that the stabbing into my stomach got so severe, I wondered if my kidneys were failing. During mile 7 and 8 I debated whether I should ask some of the nearby lawn-workers for water. Was I that desperate? So desperate for water to stop running and go into the Randalls’ to use the drinking fountain? I wasn’t tired, my legs weren’t sore, and mentally, I wanted to continue. The problem was that my mouth was parched and my organs were failing. At mile 9 my route turned back, and it was straight shot home. I kept going, doing some running, but mostly walking. As much as I wanted to, I refused to sit down and rest. I didn’t ask any strangers for water and I ran through the intestinal pain during the last .2 miles to make it home alive. My overall pace was 11 minutes/mile.

Even though this run was not my best, it was still successful. I made it. I ran 11 miles. In one day. Without dying. The race is a week from Saturday. I've been researching the course, and I'm definitely fearing the hills. However, I'm really looking forward to the water stations (every 2 miles, so I hear). Friday's run also showed me the benefits of Shot Bloks. I ate 3 of the gummy-cubes between mile 5-6 giving me more energy than I’ve had for any of my previous long runs. I definitely recommend them. The 11-miler was the most discouraging run I’ve done since my 9-mile fail back in February (only did 7.5), however this time I didn’t give up. No way jose will I give up after paying my race money. Only 4 more runs until race day. 4 more runs!

Saturday
While most know March 17th as jolly ol’ St. Patrick's Day, it’s also the birthday of BVN’s 2004 Homecoming Queen. AKA my beautiful friend Wilg Wilg. AND, to top of a birth, on Friday night her boyfriend of 6(ish?) years proposed. Aw, shucks. Hurray for them!
Sunday
More running. This weekend Chris remembered that he’d signed up for the Cap 10k. About time to throw in a practice run, wouldn’t you say? We ran 4 miles up and down through the stifling humidity and returned home to the news that the Hutson’s were at the hospital with the baby on the way. Later that night, precious baby Lila (LYE-lah) Margaret had finally arrived. 9lbs and 6oz of cute.
Only 2 weeks until I’m done running. And only 3 weeks until I get to celebrate with the engaged couple and brand new parents. My mom put it best (as she often does), “Wow!! Your friends are growing up!”

No comments: