Sunday, October 22, 2017

Week Two - Turning 31

I'm feeling much more situated in my new city, having done quite a bit of exploring and socializing this past week. I met up with a former coworker from Chicago, who loves living here, despite the lack of Amazon and very substantial cost of living difference.
Morningstar Sydney
One of my big bosses from Austin also came to visit this week, and took our Aussie team out to a divine Italian dinner at nearby, Rosetta. We did a family-style meal with entrees (appetizers) and mains (entrees). I also got a lesson in how Australian's name their courses.... Different than the US.

On Thursday I journeyed south to Surry Hills to for a blind friend date with some Americans. And in typical Texan fashion, opted for El Loco. And because I don't believe in Mexican food outside of Texas, I got a delicious salmon, salad, and chips (french fries).
Cheers to Mark, the matchmaker.
My second weekend in Sydney was equally eventful. I lawn bowled it up at the employee Spring Party, while also meeting many other colleagues and their families. Free food and drinks complete the afternoon and a spontaneous party in Bondi rounded out the evening. I even taught a local how to play Beer Pong.
they used Peroni and we lost the game
It's official, Sundays are for ferry boat rides. And birthdays are for free entry to the zoo! I spent my birthday with the koalas, little penguins, crocodile, kangaroos, and cassowarys.
ferry to the zoo on my 31st

sleeping koala in the background.

when I first saw it I did a double take. "Is it real?" So bloody cuddly

Saltwater Crocodile, definitely the scariest. Surpassed the Tasmanian devil and the completely unnecessary amount of killer snakes they had in the reptile house.
all the kangas eating lunch
I'd never heard of a cassowary before coming to the zoo but do it not look like a dinosaur? Native to the Australian rainforest. The oldest rainforest in the world.
Sydney views from the zoo


these giraffe's have a far better view than my buddies from the Lincoln Park zoo!
before heading back on the ferry I did a quick hike to the beach. Because, hiking and beaches are my two of my favorite things and birthdays are all about doing your favorite things.
and then it started pouring rain

No comments: