Friday, July 8, 2011

Never Seemed so Strange

Last weekend Chris and I took a 2.5 hour escape from Austin to spend some QT with his parentals in Katy, TX. We also visited with a few other Houstonians including my ol’ college roomie and the greatest TSTV Live Sports Director of all time.

Please excuse the up-the-nose shot of me.


One of Chris’s closest childhood friends also lives in Katy, and a group of us caught the Friday night Astros game at Minute Maid Park. I have never been to an indoor baseball park, and the whole thing was pretty weird. I bet it cost a fortune to cool that place down! But when it’s 98 degrees and nearly 90% humidity, one really appreciates the A/C.
Yep, we are inside.


Oh, and halfway through we moved to the left-field side. It has a better view of the jumbotron.

So, Minute Maid also has a retractable roof. Stellar. At the end of the game they retracted the roof and we got to see about 10 minutes of fireworks. Because of the Great Drought of 2011, Austin counties are currently under a severe burn ban. Thus, these were the only fireworks we saw all weekend. Eh, works for me.


After the game we stopped by Little Bigs in Montrose. I highly recommend the Frozen White Russian. I should have splurged for my own instead of just sampling Chris’s. The next day, we ate dinner at George’s with his parents, then met up with fellow Austinites, Brian and Jessica, at the Petrol Station. I liked that place so much I just wrote it a 5 Star yelp review. On Sunday night, the four of us cooked one of the greatest Fourth of July meals I’ve ever had. I made Caprese Salad (again!), Chris grilled some steaks, and his mom made LOADED roasted veggie skewers, baked potato salad, and boiled shrimp. More veggies please? And, a weekend in Katy is never complete without hand-washing my car, watching lots of cable TV, and playing a few hours of wii.

Oh, and we stopped at Sonic. Once on the way there, once on the way back. Half-price drinks everyday from 2-4pm!

No comments: