Friday, March 30, 2012

one day more

It's crazy to think that I'll be completely done with this by tomorrow morning. When I got my coffee from the kitchen at work today, I thought to myself, "at this time tomorrow I'll be running 13.1 miles!" It's almost here.

On Wednesday I ran 4 miles inside on the treadmill. It was raining. I thought about just sucking it up and going outside, but I decided the only way I could start a run in the rain was if it was for a real race. When I got home I started to feel some tightness in my right quad/groin/hip muscle. Ha, shows how much human anatomy I know. Yesterday, I ran 2 miles without any pain during the run. The "upper thigh area" really only hurts when I get up from a seated position. Like, when I put all my weight on the right leg to stand up.

Oh, but before my 2 mile run (last training run!), I had to go pick up my race packet from Luke's Locker. The journey was incredibly annoying. I realized I wasn't going to make my 5:30pm yoga class at around 4:30pm when I was at a complete standstill on Mopac and 45th. My car was completely stopped in the far left lane when BAM, I am shaken forward, confused, and surprised. I look in the rear-view mirror and see the front of a gigantic SUV. "Omgosh some idiot just rear-ended me." Yes, that is what happened. I get out of the car and some kid, probably around 17 years old says to me, "I'm so so so sorry."

I am still pretty shocked by all of this. This has never happened to me before. I quickly pull over, thinking how annoying we are for the rest of the rush-hour commuters. I get out of my car and we both agree that there is seriously, no damage. Maybe some light scratches? But they totally could have been there already. The kid continues to apologize. As we get back into our cars I say, "It's okay, but be careful!" Suddenly I have become some all-knowing adult passing on my wisdom to the younger drivers of the world.

My journey continues for another 30 minutes when I finally make it. Race packet obtained. It even included some sweet free stuff!
Zooma running shirt, bib, four safety pins, Lemon Zest Luna Bar, SunRype Fruit Strip, Garnier shampoo/conditioner sample, and Dole real-fruit pineapple bites . Not bad!

I'm saving all the goodies for after the race tomorrow. And at this point, all I can do is go to bed early and hope for the best. My goal is to finish having felt like I did the best that I could.

I've found several other blog posts with descriptions from the 2011 race. Per their advice, I'm going to try and really enjoy the experience. One mile at a time. I'll try to take in the scenery, the other runners, and the feeling of accomplishment.

So, today after a 25 minute stationary bike ride to get rid of some energy (and listen to my favorite podcast, thanks again Natalie!), I've been pretty freaking lazy. I feasted on some leftover pasta, some of Johnny's Favorite Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, and sooo much water. Oh, and I did this:
Something about hot pink nails makes you want to run faster. Right?


And get a load of this awesome tongue-out cat pose.
Oh Khyra, always entertaining.


If anybody is awake from 5:30am-10am tomorrow, please send lots of good thoughts my way. I am almost there!

No comments: