Friday, March 27, 2015

Thailand Part 7 - From Laos to Cambodia

Wednesday, March 11th
Today I woke up at 5am to watch a bunch of monks walk through the street to get their alms. Which is all the food they eat for the day. It was pretty much a huge tourist show though. The Chinese tourists were so disrespectful. Really sad... But Ramina and I watched from the back... After that I waited by the money place for them to open, got a bad coffee-withdraw headache, then got money and coffee! I've just been walking around for the past few hours and headed home to rest for a bit. I must checkout at 11.30am, and will catch a ride to the airport around 1. I'm gonna get a sandwich and smoothie for lunch. Might actually get 2 sandwiches so I have a good snack later. I bought a bunch of mini bananas for 5kip (50 cents) and they were so good.

even the mini bananas must be separated


Mass #s of tourists waiting for the Monks

the Alms ceremony

and then they go off to school

Farewell Laos
my view from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap
Later that Day

Made it to Cambodia! Siem Reap is way more crowded and a bit intense. This is a much bigger city than I imagined, and not very good sidewalks. I don't really see anybody walking around in the area I'm in either. I witnessed a moterbike/bicycle collision on my way back to my villa from the airport. Was not pretty. But both were fine. Not sure who's fault it was, but I felt bad for them both. Was a young girl and a teenage boy. There's lots of crazy traffic here, so I can see how it would happen. And it could have been much, much worse. 

I'm staying at a real nice place though. It has a restaurant on the rooftop deck. I watched sunset up here and am now eating reeeally spicy curry. And since my walk home is only 3 floors, I got some Cambodia beer. It's good! I have to wake up at 4:20am or so, as I'm going to Angkor Wat by 5ish to watch sunrise. And, I'm going to try to spend all day there unless I get too tired from all the temple touring. Then I'll come back for a nap and go back out for when temperatures get cooler. It's going to be near 100, yikes.

I'm super tired since I woke up at 5am today to see those monks. Gonna be a long few days, but fortunately there's relaxation on the other side.


You would get a kick out of all the different forms of tuk tuks I've taken (like a taxi). They are pretty crazy bike/trike things. And very common ways to take people around. I'll remember to take more pictures of the everyday stuff and not all the sights so you have a better depiction of what it's all like.
The view from my hotel in Siem Reap

On the rooftop of my hotel in Siem Reap


No comments: